International Poetry Contest judged by Maggie Smith will be open Feb 1-April 30.
General Submissions are currently closed. They will reopen early March for Issue 101. Please see back for theme announcement.
Thank you for your interest in River Styx! As a multicultural magazine of poetry, short fiction, essays, interviews, and art, River Styx publishes works of both new and established artists significant for their originality, energy, and craft. The high quality of its form and content has made it a leader among literary magazines for 40+ years. River Styx has been included in many editions of the Best American Poetry, Best New Poets, New Stories from the South, and Pushcart Prize anthologies. If your work is the best that it can be and you deem that it fits with the established style and content of our magazine, please send it to River Styx.
Guidelines for Writers
- Regular submissions must be received after June 1st (postmarked deadline TBA). Work received outside of our reading period will be recycled unread.
- Work submitted to River Styx must be previously unpublished in print or online.
- No e-mail submissions of any kind will be considered.
- We accept poetry and prose submissions electronically via submittable.com or through US mail.
- All submissions and correspondence must include an S.A.S.E. with sufficient postage.
- Please use US postage and do not submit work via any method that requires a signature.
- Please direct your submission to the appropriate editor: Poetry, Fiction, Drama, or Nonfiction.
- Send three to five poems per submission.
- We consider prose of any length, including flash fiction and micro-essays. If your work is less than 500 words, feel free to send up to three pieces.
- Translations are welcome if permission has been granted from owner of copyright.
- We will read simultaneous submissions but ask that you inform us of such and notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Expect three to five months for a decision. Please do not query us or send another manuscript until five months have passed.
Guidelines for Visual Artists
- To be considered, work must be received between September and November.
- 5×7 or 8×10 photographs are preferred, though we will consider slides.
- Artists must include return postage with submissions.
- Allow three to five months for a response.
Because of the high volume of submissions received, River Styx cannot assume responsibility for unsolicited manuscripts that are lost, damaged, or misplaced.
The best way to know what kinds of work we publish is to read what we publish. We invite you to subscribe to River Styx and support our continued publication.
When you submit your work you are automatically signed up for our newsletter. You may remove yourself from the mailing list if you wish, and you can always sign up for our newsletter without submitting.
The contributors of River Styx are who make us so grand, and we show our gratitude. All contributors- poets, writers, essayists, and artists alike- receive compensation for their published work. This includes an addition of the issue which their work is included and the following payment:
Prose (fiction/nonfiction): $50-150 (depending on length)
Art: $50-100 (depending on location and extent of work)
Contest winner: $1,500 (Please see more information about the current contest, which changes between International Poetry Contest and Microfiction Contest)