Submissions are currently closed.
We are in the process of moving to a new office, so we are closing submissions temporarily while we take care of that, catch up on older submissions, and catch our breaths. We hope to open regular (non-contest) submissions back up at the end of November, at which time we will open submissions for all genres and art. If you would like to stay informed about our progress, please sign up for our newsletter and/or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Thank you for your interest in River Styx! As a multicultural magazine of poetry, short fiction, essays, interviews, and art, River Styx publishes works of both new and established artists significant for their originality, energy, and craft. The high quality of its form and content has made it a leader among literary magazines for 40+ years. River Styx has been included in many editions of the Best American Poetry, Best New Poets, New Stories from the South, and Pushcart Prize anthologies. If your work is the best that it can be and you deem that it fits with the established style and content of our magazine, please send it to River Styx.
River Styx seeks to publish work from new and established writers that is striking in its originality, energy, and craft. The high quality of work published in River Styx has made it a leader among literary magazines for over 44 years. River Styx has been included in many editions of the Best American Poetry, Best New Poets, New Stories from the South, and Pushcart Prize anthologies. If you’d like to get a feel for the type of work we publish, please order an issue or check out our archives for sample pieces.
General Submission Guidelines for Writers
- Work submitted to River Styx must be previously unpublished in print or online.
- We accept poetry and prose submissions electronically via submittable.com or through USPS sent to River Styx, 3139A South Grand Boulevard, Suite 203 St. Louis, MO 63118.
- All mailed submissions and correspondence must include a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) with sufficient postage.
- Please do not submit work via any method that requires a signature.
- Prose pieces should be typed, double-spaced, and page-numbered. Send no more than one short story or essay per submission.
- Send up to five poems per submission.
- Translations are welcome if permission has been granted from owner of copyright.
- We will read simultaneous submissions but ask that you inform us of such and notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Expect up to five months for a decision. Please do not query before five months have passed.
- No e-mail submissions of any kind will be considered.
Guidelines for Visual Artists
- Allow up to five months for a response.
- Works may include paintings, photographs (including high-quality photos of 3-D or mixed-media work), prints, digital illustrations, graphic short stories, etc.
- For cover art we seek a single, striking color image, with the possibility of printing a second, related image on the back cover. Cover images should be vertical/portrait in orientation (or able to be cropped).
- Graphic stories may run as long as they need to tell the story. Page length is limited only by how long they keep our interest.
- Inside art is typically a spread of four to eight black-and-white images. Cover and inside art are typically from two different artists but occasionally we run work from the same person, depending on how a series lends itself to that possibility. Your submitted work may be considered for either.
- If your work is a part of a series of images, please submit up to 12 images. We like having choices.
- If submitting a multi-page artistic work, such as a graphic short story, please submit only one at a time.
River Styx only accepts online submissions through Submittable. Absolutely no emailed submissions will be considered. If you are unable to submit through Submittable, we will accept your postal submission (including a self-addressed stamped envelope for response).
Please note that our mailing address will be changing in October 2019. However until that time, you can mail us here:
3139 A, South Grand Blvd. Suite 203
St. Louis, MO 63118
Because of the high volume of submissions received, River Styx cannot assume responsibility for unsolicited manuscripts that are lost, damaged, or misplaced.
The best way to know what kinds of work we like is to read what we publish. We invite you to purchase a sample issue or subscribe to River Styx and support our continued publication.
When you submit your work you are automatically signed up for our newsletter. You may remove yourself from the mailing list if you wish, and you can always sign up for our newsletter without submitting.
All writers whose work we publish will receive compensation. This includes a one-year subscription, one additional copy of the issue in which their work appears, and payment of approximately $25 to $150, depending on the length of the work as well as our finances at the time of publication.
For art, we pay $50-150, depending on location and use of the work and (again) our finances at the time the work is accepted.