Submissions are open.
River Styx seeks to publish work from new and established writers that is striking in its originality, energy, and craft. The high quality of work published in River Styx has made it a leader among literary magazines for over 40 years. River Styx has been included in many editions of the Best American Poetry, Best New Poets, New Stories from the South, and Pushcart Prize anthologies. If you’d like to get a feel for the type of work we publish, please order an issue or check out our archives for sample pieces.
General Submission Guidelines for Writers
- Work submitted to River Styx must be previously unpublished in print or online.
- We accept poetry and prose submissions electronically via submittable.com or through U.S.P.S. sent to River Styx, 3139A South Grand Boulevard, Suite 203 St. Louis, MO 63118.
- All mailed submissions and correspondence must include a self addressed stamped envelope (S.A.S.E.) with sufficient postage.
- Please do not submit work via any method that requires a signature.
- Prose pieces should be typed, double-spaced, and page-numbered. Send no more than one short story or essay per submission.
- Send up to five poems per submission.
- Translations are welcome if permission has been granted from owner of copyright.
- We will read simultaneous submissions but ask that you inform us of such and notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Expect three to five months for a decision. Please do not query us or send another manuscript until five months have passed.
- No e-mail submissions of any kind will be considered.
Guidelines for Visual Artists
- Allow three to five months for a response.
- Works may include photographs, paintings, printmaking, digital illustrations, multimedia graphics, graphic short stories, etc.
- For cover art we seek a single, striking color image, with the possibility of printing a second, related image on the back cover.
- Inside art is a spread of four to eight black-and-white images. Cover and inside art are typically from two different artists but may be the same, depending on how a series lends itself to that possibility. Your submitted work may be considered for either.
- If your work is a part of a series of images, please submit up to 12 images. We like having choices.
- If submitting a multi-page artistic work, such as a graphic short story, please submit only one at a time.
River Styx only accepts online submissions through Submittable. Absolutely no emailed submissions will be considered. If you are unable to submit through our submission system, we will accept your postal submission (including a self-addressed stamped envelope for response) mailed to:
3139 A, South Grand Blvd. Suite 203
St. Louis, MO 63118
Because of the high volume of submissions received, River Styx cannot assume responsibility for unsolicited manuscripts that are lost, damaged, or misplaced.
The best way to know what kinds of work we publish is to read what we publish. We invite you to subscribe to River Styx and support our continued publication.
When you submit your work you are automatically signed up for our newsletter. You may remove yourself from the mailing list if you wish, and you can always sign up for our newsletter without submitting.
All writers whose work we publish will receive compensation. This includes a one-year subscription, one additional copy of the issue their work appears in, and payment of $25 to $150, depending on length of the work as well as our finances at the time of publication.
For art, we pay $50-150, depending on location and use of the work, and (again) our finances at the time the work is accepted.