$1,500 First Prize
Judged by the editors of River Styx
Submissions are open September 1–December 31, 2018.
- 500 words maximum per story, up to three stories per entry fee. (Additional stories are accepted with additional fees.)
- Choose your entry fee: $10 or $20.
- $20 entry fee includes a one-year subscription.
- $10 entry fee includes a copy of the issue in which the winning stories will appear.
- Include name and address on the cover letter only.
- First, second, and third place winners will be published in Issue 102.
- All stories will be considered for publication.
- Previously published stories, including those that have appeared on websites, blogs, and personal home pages, are not eligible.
- Judges will remove from consideration any entries they recognize as having been written by writers with whom they have worked or studied.
- Contest results will be announced in April.
River Styx accepts online submissions via Submittable. No email submissions will be considered. As an alternative to Submittable, you may mail your submission, along with entry fee and self-addressed stamped envelope, to the following:
River Styx Microfiction Contest
3139 A, South Grand Blvd. Suite 203
St. Louis, MO 63118
Entries must be received by December 31, 2018.
2018 Microfiction Contest Winners
Read the three winning stories in Issue 100 of River Styx:
First Place: “Hangnail” by Tamara Panici
Second Place: “The Sign” by Mark Wagenaar
Third Place: “Daughter” by Leonora Desar
“Manhandling: to maneuver” by Rosemarie Dombrowski
“A Girl Walks on the Moon” by Ruth Joffre
“Turtles” by Tamara Panici
“The Last Mercy” by Mark Wagenaar
“Shelter” by Brian Phillip Whalen
2017 Schlafly Micro-Brew Micro-Fiction Contest Winners
Read the below winning stories in Issue 98 of River Styx:
First Place: “Edifice and Artifice in Buda and Pest” by Sean Gill
Second Place: “The Snake” by John Blair
Third Place: “Music Lessons” by Eric Schlich
“In Case of Drowning” by Amy Blakemore
“My Boots” by Yael Hacohen
“What We Did Means Now” by Ethan Feuer
2016 Schlafly Micro-Brew Micro-Fiction Contest Winners
Read the below winning stories in Issue 96 of River Styx:
First Place: “Sundowning” by Justin Herrmann
Second Place: “The Doors” by Leah Bailly
Third Place: “The Beast That Birthed You” by Caitlin Scarano