As the oldest active literary journal in St. Louis, River Styx is committed to the literary needs of its community. In addition to our journal and reading series, we offer several outreach programs designed to bring the joys and educational merits of creative writing to our community.
- Youth Outreach Workshops: a literacy and creative writing program for children ages 6–14 who are currently residing at one of St. Louis’ emergency shelters
- River Styx Writers Workshops: weekly creative writing workshops for adults who want to learn more about writing poetry, fiction, and nonfiction
- Outside: a literary magazine published by students of Central Visual and Performing Arts High School in St. Louis
- Workshops for teachers: As interdisciplinary field trips, teachers may come to the River Styx office and learn about maintaining, funding, and promoting a magazine. Teachers can read actual submissions to River Styx and discuss which ones they would accept. Forge connections in a field your students want a career in, and contact us today.
Want to join us in building St. Louis’s literary community? You can:
- Volunteer for one of our programs by donating your time to a cause you care about.
- Make a donation to support our work—you can even donate to specific workshops!
- Attend one of our upcoming events.