Guidelines for Writers
- Work submitted to River Styx must be previously unpublished in print or online. This includes social media posts.
- We accept poetry, prose, creative nonfiction, short play, and multimedia submissions electronically via Submittable.
- Prose pieces should be typed, double-spaced, and page-numbered. Send no more than one short story or essay per submission. Stories/essays of 500 words or fewer may be sent in groups of up to three.
- Send up to five poems per submission.
- Translations are welcome if permission has been granted from owner of copyright.
- We will read simultaneous submissions but ask that you inform us of such and notify us immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Expect up to five months for a decision. Please do not query before five months have passed.
- No e-mail submissions of any kind will be considered. If you wish to submit electronically, please use Submittable.
- We no longer accept hard copy submissions.
- All submissions will be considered for our online magazine. We no longer publish a print edition.
Guidelines for Visual Artists
- Works may include paintings, photographs, animation, video, graphic short fiction, digital illustration, prints, and other media (including high-quality photos of 3-D or mixed-media work).
- Allow up to five months for a response.
- For cover art we seek a single, striking color image, with the possibility of printing a second, related image on the back cover. Cover images should be horizontal/landscape orientation (or able to be cropped).
- Graphic stories may run as long as they need to tell the story. Page length is limited only by how long they keep our interest.
- If your work is a part of a series of images, please submit up to 12 images. We like having choices.
- If submitting a multi-page artistic work, such as a graphic short story, please submit only one at a time.
- For larger files, please contact us using the form on the Contact page for further instructions.
All writers whose work we publish will receive compensation. This includes a one-year subscription, and payment of $50.
For multimedia, we pay $50.